Fall Home Maintenance Checklist – Winterize Your Home
Fall maintenance checklist offering tips and advice to winterize your home’s systems in good working order during the upcoming winter months.
- Have your heating system professionally inspected.
- Change/clean HVAC air filters. Use a vacuum with brush attachment to clean out the forced air registers and ductwork in your house.
- Check the weather-stripping around your exterior doors and windows. Repair gaps or other damaged areas.
- Inspect the caulking around the exterior doors and windows. Re-apply if necessary to minimize drafts and keep insects out.
- Properly “close” your pool. Make sure water is drained from pipes and cover your pool to keep it clean and safe during the “off” season.
- Clean your chimney and fireplace to minimize the chance for fire related problems during winter.
- Inspect your roof for damaged shingles, flashing, skylights, dormers and etc. Repair as needed.
- Inspect all smoke detectors and C/O (Carbon Monoxide) detectors
- Drain water from outdoor faucets, garden hoses and underground sprinkler systems to minimize freeze damage.
- Test all GFI’s in kitchen, baths, laundry and exterior.